MINI.MU Music Glove Kit for micro:bit
The MINI.MU is MI.MU's make-it-yourself musical microbit glove for kids. It is a collaboration between musician Imogen Heap, creative technologist and childrens author Helen Leigh, Pimoroni and the MI.MU glove team. This kit uses the popular, versatile micro:bit to create a friendly, simple and fun crafty musical code experience.
Everything is included to make a musical glove from scratch, with no crafting, coding or electronics knowledge required. Once the first craft and code activity had been completed, the experience really begins. The MINI.MU encourages creative coding, allowing progression from simple block code and 8-bit tunes to more advanced interactions and wireless communication with professional music software.
Accompanying the MINI.MU kit will be YouTube tutorials and demos, coding challenges and downloadable teacher notes. As part of the micro:bit and MI.MU glove communities, users will be supported by experienced makers and educators.
Suitability will vary based on experience and knowledge, but we recommend this kit as follows:
- Ages 6 and up: With full adult-assistance for sewing and coding.
- Ages 8 and up: With some adult-assistance for sewing and coding.
- Ages 10+: Minimal adult-assistance to get started.
- We would not recommend this kit for ages 5 and below.
- The sharp needle and small parts make this kit unsuitable for ages 3 and under.
- Make a musical glove from scratch, with no crafting, coding or electronics knowledge required.
- Everything you need is included, just add scissors and a microbit.
- Suitable for children of 6 years old (with adult assistance) and up.
- Complexity of projects can scale up to suit the skill of the user.
- Felt with screen-printed glove patterns.
- MINI.MU sewable speaker.
- Needle and thread.
- Crocodile clips.
- Battery pack.
- 2x AAA batteries.
- USB data cable.
- Instructions: how to make, wire, code, and play.
- A BBC micro:bit.